It was a strong day for the Lady Warriors propelled by the throws. Elena Bruckner and Ronna Stone placed 1-2 in the discus and led a Valley Christian sweep in the shot put. Bruckner, Stone and Athyia Iese all advance finishing 1-2-3 surpassing the automatic qualifying mark of 36-5.
Lydia Sum was impressive in the 100 hurdles, repeating as WCAL Champion. Her time of 14.90 is #3 all-time for the Warriors. Also winning a WCAL title was Ronika Stone in the high jump. In just her first year of the event she has set school record at 5 feet, 5 inches and is currently ranked #3 in CCS.
Also moving on to the CCS Trials is Ashley Lara and Elaine Ma. Lara finished 2nd in the 800 meters in a season best 2:19.40, Ma finished 2nd in the long jump with a mark of 16-3. Rebekah Bruckner also advances in the high jump after finishing 3rd with a personal best 4-8.
The boys team is composed of talented youth, and it showed with third place finish in the Frosh-Soph division. A well rounded team with medalists in every discipline the boys featured two WCAL Champions: In the sprints Trent Laubach won the 200 meters in 22.87; in the jumps Mathew Weeks won the high jump with a mark of 5-8.
Matthew Weeks scored 20 points and was a finalist in four events. In addition to winning the high jump Weeks was also third in the triple jump, fourth in the 300 hurdles and seventh in the long jump.
Links: Results / Pics
Additional Meet Highlights:
- Nick Trofort had a big day in the 100 meters running a huge personal best 11.38. He also scored in the 200 meters and the 4 x 100 meter relay
- Dylan McCreery just missed the frosh-soph shot put record with a huge personal best 47-8 to finish second place in WCAL.
- Max Moore finished second in the discus with a throw of 130-4. That moves him to #6 all-time in Valley Christian history.
- Jonathan Sum also narrowly missed the 65 meter hurdle record. His run of 9.64 is the second fastest in school history.
- Nedu Ndili becomes the third runner in school history to run under two minutes in the 800 meters, finishing in second place in the frosh-soph division with a 1:59.19. That is followed by a strong performance in the 1600 the week prior where the sophomore ran 4:32 for the mile.
- The top 5 mile marks in 2015 were all set at the WCAL Finals. Joe Renati, Dean DeMoss, Nathan Lynch and Justin Baraona all ran under. Eight runners cracked the 5 minute barrier in the mile this season, the most in school history.
- Two mile madness: eight boys have cracked the 11 min barrier this season at 3200 meters:Nathan Lynch, Nedu Ndili, Justin Baraona, Joe Renati, Sam Cuevas, Dean DeMoss, Peter Enfantino and Cameron Lockard.