In what seems like overnight Valley Christian High School has had an explosion in the high jump event, adding to the incredible talent to the already deep field events. In addition to veteran Elaine Ma posting a 4'10 personal best last week the Warriors have welcomed the addition of multi-sport athletes Ronika Stone, Tori Dilfer, Amy Roat and Cassi Orth. Currently the Warriors have four high jumpers that rank in the top 5 in the WCAL.
Ronika Stone didn’t really know what to really expect her first day trying high jump. The junior stands six foot three and is an outside hitter on the Valley Christian Volleyball team that won the state championship last year. A commit to the University of Oregon, Stone scissored 4-8 her first try at the event. In the two weeks since she has found confidence hitting 5-0 at the Saint Francis Invitational on Saturday, in just her second meet. Stone continues the upward trend clearing 5-2 in yesterday’s dual with Notre Dame Belmont. Impressively, after hitting the bar on her third attempt at 5-4 she took one more unofficial attempt clearing 5-4. Her official mark of 5-2 ties Kristin Houp’s school record set in 2006.
[Video: Ronika Stone Sets School Record in High Jump]
The explosion in the high jump has come at the result of multi-sport athletes giving it a try. Tori Dilfer cleared 4-8 in her first try. She is a teammate of Stone's on the school's volleyball team. She also was a member of the State Championship team as a freshman. Lady Warriors basketball went deep into the Nor Cal basketball tournament this year making it to the final. Amy Roat and Cassi Orth are out for the high jump, Emily Ellingson in jumps and sprints.
Links: Results / Pics
Additional Meet Highlights:
- Elaine Ma jumped 16-8 in the long jump, a season best that currently ranks her #1 in WCAL.
- Elena Bruckner there 49-9, just one inch off her state leading mark set March 14.
- Athiya Iese breaks 30 feet throwing 32-4 in the shot put. That puts the freshman #8 all-time in school history.
- The distance girls have 10 runners currently at 2:48 or faster in the 800 meters.
- The Sophomore team of Trent Laubach, Nick Trofort, Gary Coleman and Javon Sturns ran 45.18 in the Varsity division. The four sophomores are closing in on the Frosh-Soph School record for the event.
- Trent Laubach is the first Warrior to crack the 12 second mark for the Warriors running 11.69
- Jonathan Wick (40-5) and Charlie Nijmeh (40-3) both surpass 40 feet moving to #8 & #9 all-time.