Clovis, CA - The weather was the big story this past weekend in track and field competitions across the state. While the Avis Kelly Invitational in Gilroy was cancelled due to rain and strong winds the Fresno meet was able to continue as scheduled and the result was a strong showing from the Warriors.
Running into an extreme headwind in the sprints and jumps, including rain and hail later in the meet the Warriors fought off the elements and had some solid performances. The top performance of the day came from Theodore King, pictured below throwing the discus in last week's WCAL dual at Mitty, extended his school record in the shot put with his first throw over the 50 foot barrier at the West Coast Relays, Saturday. His mark of 50-8 was the winning throw in the Varsity Seeded division and currently ranks him 4th in the CCS.
The boys go head to head against Riordan High School in WCAL Action on Wednesday, then head to Stanford and Arcadia to face top regional and national competition.
Other Meet Highlights:
- Bryon Marshall finished 2nd in the Invitational 100 meters with a time of 11.42 (-3.9).
- Sean Davis finished 3rd in the Invitational section running 4:22.17. To watch the race on YouTube: CLICK HERE
- Shelby Smallwood finished 2nd in the Invitational 100 meters with a time of 12.54. She also ran into a headwind reading of -1.4.
- Kristin Sato finished 3rd in the long jump with a mark of 17-6 (-3.4) and second in the triple jump (-4.2) with a mark of 35-6.25, just one inch off the winning mark. Her jumps were also into the gusty winds prevalent throughout the day.
- The Girls 4 x 100 meter relay team got a season best in the 4 x 100 meter relay finishing 1st in the Seeded race with a time of 49.47.